Jaffna, located in the northern part of Sri Lanka, is a city that is rich in history and culture. It is a place that is a must-visit for those interested in the country’s heritage and natural beauty. Here are some of the top places to visit in Jaffna:
1. Nallur Kandaswamy Kovil – This is an iconic Hindu temple located in Jaffna. It is one of the most significant and famous Hindu temples in Sri Lanka. The temple has a history of more than 1000 years and is visited by millions of pilgrims every year.
2. Jaffna Fort – The Jaffna Fort was built by the Portuguese in the 17th century and was later occupied by the Dutch and the British. Today, it is a historical site that is open to the public, and visitors can explore its ruins and learn about its history.
3. Jaffna Library – The Jaffna Library was once one of the biggest and most significant libraries in Asia. Unfortunately, most of the library was destroyed during the Sri Lankan Civil War, but it was rebuilt and reopened in 2003. Visitors can now explore the library and learn about its history.
4. Keerimalai Hot Springs – Keerimalai Hot Springs is a natural hot water spring located in Jaffna. The spring is believed to have therapeutic properties, and people come from far and wide to bathe in its waters.
5. Point Pedro – Point Pedro is the northernmost point of Sri Lanka. It is a beautiful spot that offers breathtaking views of the Indian Ocean. Visitors can also visit the nearby Point Pedro Lighthouse.
These are just some of the top places to visit in Jaffna. There are many more historical sites, cultural sites, and natural attractions that visitors can explore in this beautiful city. By visiting Jaffna, you will get a chance to experience the rich culture and history of Sri Lanka. So, plan your trip to Jaffna today and get ready for an unforgettable experience!