Shymkent, the third-largest city in Kazakhstan, boasts a rich history and a diverse culture that attracts visitors from all over the world. If you’re planning a trip to Shymkent, here are the top 10 attractions you cannot miss:
1. Hazret Sultan Mosque – This magnificent mosque is one of the largest in Kazakhstan and a beautiful example of Islamic architecture.
2. Regional Museum of Local Studies – Learn about the history, culture, and traditions of Shymkent and the surrounding region at this fascinating museum.
3. Abai Park – This lush park is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike with beautiful gardens, a lake, and plenty of recreational activities.
4. Ordabasy Square – Located in the heart of Shymkent, this square features a statue of the legendary Kazakh warrior, Abylay Khan.
5. Aina Culture and Arts Center – This modern cultural center is a showcase of Kazakh art and design, with a rotating collection of exhibitions.
6. Palace of Culture named after K. Aitmatov – Attend a performance or concert at this impressive architectural masterpiece, named after Kyrgyz writer Chingiz Aitmatov.
7. Shymkent Zoo – Get close to over 300 species of exotic animals, including tigers, lions, and zebras, at one of the best zoos in Central Asia.
8. Aksu-Zhabagly Nature Reserve – Explore the natural beauty of Shymkent’s surrounding mountains and valleys with ecological tours, hiking trails, and bird watching.
9. Regional Philharmonic – Enjoy classical music, opera, and ballet performances in the beautiful setting of this historic building.
10. Sayram Lake – Take a day trip to this stunning lake surrounded by snow-capped mountains and visit the nearby UNESCO World Heritage Site of Mausoleum of Khawaja Ahmed Yasawi.
With its rich history, vibrant culture, and stunning natural beauty, Shymkent is a must-visit destination in Central Asia. Use these top 10 attractions as a starting point for your adventure in this fascinating city.