Dinant, a picturesque river town in the Wallonia region of Belgium, is a hidden gem that proves to be a perfect holiday destination. Whether you are an adventurer, history buff or art enthusiast, Dinant has something to offer for everyone. In this comprehensive guide, we have compiled some of the best things to do in Dinant, Belgium.
1. Visit the Citadel of Dinant: The Citadel of Dinant is a fortress located on a rocky cliff overlooking the town. It offers spectacular views of the Meuse Valley and the town of Dinant. Visitors can reach the Citadel by foot or using the cable car that operates from the town center.
2. Explore the Lesse River: The Lesse River offers beautiful scenery and a variety of activities like kayaking, canoeing, or simply hiking along its beautiful banks. Make sure to visit the Grotte La Merveilleuse cave and the Furfooz Nature Reserve while you’re in the area.
3. Discover Dinant’s History: Dinant has a rich history dating back to the Middle Ages. Visitors can explore Dinant’s history by visiting the Gothic cathedral of Notre-Dame, the Maison Leffe brewery, and the Saxophone Museum.
4. Sample local cuisine: Belgium is known for its delicious cuisine, and Dinant doesn’t disappoint. Make sure to try the local specialties like escargots, carbonade flamande, and of course, a variety of Belgian beers.
5. Attend Dinant’s Festivals: Dinant hosts many festivals throughout the year, including the International Bathtub Regatta, the Festival of Oysters and Champagne, and the Charles de Gaulle Memorial. These festivals bring the community together and offer a glimpse into Dinant’s culture and traditions.
In conclusion, Dinant, Belgium, is a charming town that offers a world of experiences. From breathtaking scenery to historical landmarks, there is never a dull moment in Dinant. Book your trip now and experience the best that this hidden gem has to offer.